After the confirmation of Alex Rins’ contract with LCR Honda, the composition of MotoGP teams for 2023 began to emerge. Right now it is already known about half of the occupied places out of 22 are possible. This is the most preliminary version of the traditional off-season review of the motorcycle racing riders market. – Who is on the team? It will be relevant for probably 3 days – until the big announcement of Ducati Corse, and then we will publish a full-fledged “Version 1.0.
First, the key in the new season will be the absence of new recruits from Moto2. The reason is simple: in 2023 there will be 2 places due to Suzuki’s departure from MotoGP.
Carmelo Espeleta confirmed that “even 20 motorcycles are also normal for the World Championship, but 22 is perfect.” This means that there is a slight shortage of motorcycles and at least 2 pilots of the Royal Class must leave the stage at the end of the 2022 season. There are simply no places for beginners, and even the current pilots will have to make room.
At the beginning of the summer, a serious threat loomed over Darrin Binder, Raul Fernandez, and Remy Gardner.
Dovi came to the rescue of the young riders: Andrea Dovizioso said that he would not look for a driver’s seat in MotoGP for 2023 and would finally retire. OK, minus 1! Who else is in the red? The fate of Binder, Jr. actually solved – he hasn’t found a job in MotoGP yet and wants to return to Moto2.
Tech3 and KTM would like to keep Gardner Jr. in their ranks, while Mattighofen already has a tough conflict with Fernandez’s manager. And this does not lead to good… But then there were rumors that Raul could be sheltered by the new Aprilia – RNF Racing satellite. Let’s see how right the source is. If so, the balance will remain.
Three factory MotoGP teams – Yamaha, Aprilia, and KTM managed to approve the compositions at the moment. And two more – Honda and Ducati are ready to name the co-pilots, this will happen just the other day.
The World Ducati Week starts in Misano, where the plant can make an announcement of the entire line of pilots, and then “Who is in the team 2023 – version 1.0” will be released.
The compositions of the factory MotoGP teams in 2023:
- Fabio Quartararo (until the end of 2024) – confirmed
- Franco Morbidelli (until the end of 2023) – confirmed
- Ales Espargaro (until the end of 2024) – confirmed
- Maverick Vinales (until the end of 2024) – confirmed
KTM Factory Racing:
- Brad Binder (until the end of 2024) – confirmed
- Jack Miller (until the end of 2024) – confirmed
- Marc Marquez (until the end of 2024) – confirmed
- Joan Mir (until the end of 2024) – confirmation is expected
- Francesco Bagnaia (until the end of 2024) – confirmed
- Enea Bastianini or Jorge Martin – a decision is expected
Compositions of satellites and independent teams:
- Alex Rins (until the end of 2024) – confirmed
- Ai Ogura (until the end of 2024) – confirmation is expected
- Luca Marini (for life?) – confirmed
- Marco Bezzecchi (until the end of 2023) – confirmation is expected
- Joan Zarco (until the end of 2023?) – confirmation is expected
- Jorge Martin/Enea Bastianini – it’s not clear yet
- Alex Marquez (until the end of 2023) – confirmed
- Fabio Di Gianantonio (until the end of 2023?) – confirmation is expected
- Miguel Olivera (until the end of 2024?) – confirmation is expected
- Raul Fernandez (?) – there were rumors…
- Remy Gardner (until the end of 2023?) – confirmation is expected
- Paul Espargaro (until the end of 2023?) – confirmation is expected